Roseann's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Mar 01, 10

Read in March, 2010

** spoiler alert ** THis book kicked my butt. I so wanted to be totally thrilled with it, but at times it was a labor of love to get to the next chapter...800 pages was almost too much. The footnotes, while cutesy at first, got annoying so I stopped reading them, probably to some detriment to the storytelling, but it helped my progress. Three full weeks to read, and I enjoyed much of it, mostly the ending 300 pages. The beginning is slow going, and I did make two false starts in prior years. Overall, a wildly inventive, well-thought-out book with a great ending. Four stars because f the footnotes and slow start. I felt very sad at the middle that things were going so terribly for the main characters, so I am glad that some of that got resolved! I will not read this book again, but it was worth the read if you like books about magic, fantasy or the relationship of a bunch of crazy guys who think they could change the world with magic & books!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.