The_Book_Queen's Reviews > Unknown

Unknown by Rachel Caine

1954982
Mar 01, 10

bookshelves: own, fantasy, magic, gods, romance, read-in-2010, one-of-my-favorites, nor, reviewed
Read from February 01 to 03, 2010

Known by many for her witty YA vampire series, Rachel Caine is also author to an urban fantasy series, The Outcasts. Unknown is the second novel in this new series, and if this book is any indication, the series is sure to be one wild ride!

How do you stop a powerful rogue djinn from destroying the world, save the captured Warden children, fall in love with your own personal Warden, and come to terms with your fall from God-like powers? Cassiel is about to find out! But will she be able to handle all of this before it's too late..?

Considering this was a second book for the series, not the debut, I was surprised at the slow pace throughout some of the book. Nothing too bad, of course, but it did affect my reading for a brief time. I'm use to her YA Morganville Vampire books, which are a bit more witty and quick paced, so it took a few chapters to get use to this book, with the slightly different writing style.

As an urban fantasy, the romance takes a back seat to the heroine's kicking butt, saving the world, etc.; however, I do wish the connection simmering between Cassiel and Luis had been a bit more pronounced in this book. If they've yet to hit it off after two books, how much longer will it take before they do? I guess I'm simply use to romance novels, where the connection is blatant, not so subtle. But the slower build up to the romance was refreshing, and sweet, just not my personal preference.

Despite a few minor criticisms, I still enjoyed this novel. It was a quick read, like all of Caine's novels, and the plot peaked my interest enough that now I wish to go back and read the previous books in this series and her similar series, The Weather Wardens.

4.5 Stars! A light fantasy novel, with just a hint of smoldering romance; perfect for anyone who wants something new instead of the same old paranormal themes. I'm interested in seeing what will happen next in Cassiel and Luis's adventures... only time will tell!

~~~
Thanks to Night Owl Reviews (http://www.nightowlreviews.com/NightO...), where I received this print book for free in exchange for reviewing the book. (Free book does not equal biased review, however!) This review is the property of NOR.
~~~

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unknown.

02/01/2010 page 120