Andrew's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

May 03, 10

bookshelves: dickens
Read from February 07 to March 13, 2010

This is one of the best books ever. Few books nowadays can compare to such a flawless storyline with not only wonderful language but a heartbreaking plot. The end is inspiring and touching. This is a book that every page is a treat to be able to read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.

Quotes Andrew Liked

Charles Dickens
“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.”

Charles Dickens
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.”

Charles Dickens
“Sadly, sadly, the sun rose; it rose upon no sadder sight than the man of good abilities and good emotions, incapable of their directed exercise, incapable of his own help and his own happiness, sensible of the blight on him, and resigning himself to let it eat him away.”

Charles Dickens
“A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.”

Charles Dickens
“For you, and for any dear to you, I would do anything. If my career were of that better kind that there was any opportunity or capacity of sacrifice in it, I would embrace any sacrifice for you and for those dear to you. Try to hold me in your mind, at some quiet times, as ardent and sincere in this one thing. The time will come, the time will not be long in coming, when new ties will be formed about you--ties that will bind you yet more tenderly and strongly to the home you so adorn--the dearest ties that will ever grace and gladden you. O Miss Manette, when the little picture of a happy father's face looks up in yours, when you see your own bright beauty springing up anew at your feet, think now and then that there is a man who would give his life, to keep a life you love beside you!”

Charles Dickens
“You have been the last dream of my soul.”

Charles Dickens
“I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss, and, in their struggles to be truly free, in their triumphs and defeats, through long years to come, I see the evil of this time and of the previous time of which this is the natural birth, gradually making expiation for itself and wearing out...”

02/19/2010 page 125