Carol's Reviews > Sharp North

Sharp North by Patrick Cave

Feb 25, 10

Read in February, 2010

This book was good, but I have definitely read better cloning/dystopia books. For one thing, it was very confusing at times and things seemed to move awfully fast for a YA novel. Characters dropped in and out of the book at random with no further explanation for their purpose in the plot.

The story is set in future Britain, where climate change has resulted in massive amounts of flooding for most of the country, driving people into the big cities. There are three groups of people: Scroats ("regular people"), Visions, and the clones. I was pretty confused by what Visions are, since they were never fully explained. I assume they are humans genetically altered according to their parents' preference. In any case, the government has been replaced by corrupt "Great Families" that want to fill the country with Visions and clones and completely eliminate regular people to ensure that society will be "perfect".

It was a cool concept, and I did enjoy reading it. But like I said, I would have to do a second and third reading to fully understand everything, and even then I think it would be a little too over my head. Overall, I think it was worth the time and effort though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharp North.

02/14/2010 page 86