Jason Huffman-black's Reviews > Hogg

Hogg by Samuel R. Delany

Jun 18, 10

bookshelves: ebook, m-m, box-set-challenge, bizarre, fetish, kink
Read in June, 2010

**Spoilers**

This book is very hard to rate. Its a nasty read, it describes in full detail everything that could possibly make a person squick.

This is written through the voice of an unnamed boy who we only know as 'Cocksucker.' The telling of horrible scenes is done with the stunted feelings of a child who has seen too much and can no longer work up surprise or fear. Or love. At one point, the boy misses Hogg and I thought perhaps he had become attached to the man who was kind to him in a way. Later you find that the boy is so disconnected that he doesnt even understand attachment.

Hogg is a disgusting character and yet, to show how well it is written, (SPOILER ALERT)in the last pages you feel disappointed that things don't end differently. I softened to Hogg because he, in his way, professed a love for 'Cocksucker' that you find will not be returned. I think Cocksucker no longer wanted to be near Hogg once he felt tenderness, as if it was more frightening than anything else.

Denny was a comical character to me. Even though his killing spree would be sinister if not in a fictional work. The fact that he scrawled 'All right' on the wall after each killing seemed like dark humor.

The story ends with the first mention of Cocksucker saying a word. To me this signaled a change in the relationship dynamic between Hogg and the boy. When Hogg professed his feelings, he changed in the boy's eyes. No longer bigger than life, no longer someone to worship. That word was the death knell of their 'relationship' and left me surprisingly sad for Hogg. The nasty man was actually thinking of settling down in his way, of making a life with the boy, but in confessing his shortcomings to the boy, he destroyed what made Cocksucker desire him.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hogg.

message 1: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Cullinan Yeah, you got to the heart of this. I'm still trying to formulate my review in my head. Maybe I'll go try now....

Jason Huffman-black It was a difficult read but really interesting. I may re-read it at some point too. :)

Anita Rivera Your review is one of the few I completely agree with. I recommend this book to a lot of my friends but only if they are willing and they all think I'm joking for one.. but, I always describe this book as one of the most disgusting, perverse, crude, vile, putrid books I've ever read but oddly it's found its way into my heart as one of my top 3 because of the relationship between the boy and Hogg. I believe there is more than what meets the eye and I think so many people are turned off to this book and rate it based on their morals and that they are so shocked and appalled at what they have read that they refuse to accept it as literature.

and I LOVE the fact that i'm not the only one who is willing to admit that they sympathized with Hogg. Thank you for your review.

Jason Huffman-black Anita, the book is shocking on many levels. The most shocking is that you can actually feel for these characters. I do think more people should read it.

Matthias Williamson I love this book, as I said I've read it and reread it and I guess by saying I love it, people might think I'm sick, but I have to agree with everything everyone has said. It's the relationships. Sure you have to get through some sick shit to get through it, but it works on so many levels.