Buggy's Reviews > Line of Fire

Line of Fire by Jo Davis

Nov 13, 13

bookshelves: men-in-uniform-pc-ff, rom-susp, scars-r-sexy, shelf-11
Read from April 25 to May 13, 2011

Opening Line: “Go wide! Go wide! Come on Skyler pass the ball!”

Line Of Fire is book #4 in in the romantic, suspenseful and sexy firefighters of station five series. This time through we get apparent Brad Pitt lookalike Tommy Skylar’s story. At 23 he’s the youngest member of ‘A’ shift, a former star quarterback, Tommy had dreams of going to the NFL until the death of his brother in Iraq changed everything. Striving to make his parents proud Tommy joined the Fire Dept but still isn’t sure it’s where he wants to be.

So far I’ve really enjoyed this series, I mean how could you not? With hard bodied firemen heroes, smoking hot love scenes, and exciting action-suspense storylines it’s always a great ride. Part of the fun in reading these books is also the anticipation of how many trips to the hospital our heroes will have to endure before they get the bad guy and win the girl. Jo Davis just loves to beat up her men and it’s become a bit of a game for me counting the injuries. I also like how all the books are connected with updates from past characters and continuing story arcs. Here we get to catch up with 6-Pack, Zach, Julian and their Captain Sean’s ongoing struggle with the bottle.

ER nurse Shea Ford has been trying to avoid Tommy’s irresistible charm and ongoing advances. She thinks that he’s way too young for the strong feelings he brings out in her and that she’d be much safer dating Prescott, a boring city planner. After Tommy lands in her ER (the 1st time) Shea finally concedes to a date and the two fall for each other pretty quickly after that.

Of course while all the romance is taking place we also have an arsonist on the loose and while I didn’t find his POV particularly interesting, his bad guy antics do enable Sean to finally hit bottom and land Tommy in the hospital again, this time with surprisingly devastating injuries. Ironically I had just been saying to myself; Davis is taking it easy on her hero when whammy a burning building collapses on him, changing his future forever.

All in all a pretty good read although I have to admit it’s my least favourite from the series. I had a tough time feeling the connection between Tommy and Shea or believing that he was ready for a HEA at 23 especially when he read like such a mama’s boy. And then there was the gratuitous anal sex scene at Tommy’s parents house which I suppose was meant to show the depth of their love(?)in a Lora Leigh sort of way however I found it unnecessary and weird especially considering Shea‘s secret. A lot of times this just felt like Davis was going through the motions with stilted, fluffy dialogue and an almost repetitive story line. Still I can’t wait to read Sean’s conclusion to this series next in Ride the Fire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Line of Fire.

04/25/2011 page 27
9.0% "LMAO...By the end of chapter 1 our hero-Tommy is already unconscious and heading to the hospital with a concussion and hitting-building-rash. Let the injury count begin." 3 comments
05/11/2011 page 186
64.0% "Oh Wow, I was just thinking that Davis hadn't beat her hero (Tommy) up as much as she usually does and then... Ooh that's going to leave a mark!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

DarienMoya Great review Buggy, also my least fave but what can you do. I just don't get the whole older thing with Shea. She seems equally ridiculi like Tommy.

Buggy Hey, hey Thanks D. Good to hear from you girl. Any plans for the May 2-4?

You're right about Shea I actually forgot she was the older woman because she acted much the same young age.

DarienMoya Nope no plans, just gonna hang with the kids. Do some reading and reviewing, so totally behind on that.

Hope all is well with you!

message 4: by Karla (last edited Nov 14, 2013 05:50AM) (new)

Karla And then there was the gratuitous anal sex scene at Tommy’s parents house which I suppose was meant to show the depth of their love(?)

LOL...that cracked me up! Great review Buggy!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Karla wrote: "And then there was the gratuitous anal sex scene at Tommy’s parents house which I suppose was meant to show the depth of their love(?)"

"LOL...that cracked me up! Great review Buggy!"

Me too!!!!! "Depth" being the keyword, there!

Buggy Karla wrote: "

LOL...that cracked me up! Great review Buggy!"

Glad I could amuse you girls, LMAO! Maybe someone can tell me why some authors feel the need to add the gratuitous bum sex scene. I mean what exactly does it mean? Oh he must really love her?? More like she must trust him! It was a real trend a few years ago.