James's Reviews > A Perfect Darkness

A Perfect Darkness by Jaime Rush

Feb 01, 10

I was fascinated with this first offering in a series about the Offspring, a group of young men and women a shadowy offshoot of the U.S. government stalks, captures, exploits and then disposes of in order to achieve certain international goals. An intense lucid-dreaming relationship drives the passion and narrative strategy of the tale. Having been a lucid dreamer for some years, I found myself anticipating each dream sequence. However, although this novel falls into the genre of paranormal romance, and much of the plot centers on psychic powers, it is the emotional development of the Offspring, especially the sacrifices they make for others, that offers a deeper message: Humans have the ability to develop technological and psychic powers. However, these powers, though alluring, are beneficial or dangerous depending on the quality of light in the heart of the person wielding them.

The way one of the Offspring, Lucas, steals into people’s dreams can serve as a metaphor for the way the novelist has the psychic ability to color the reader’s own consciousness. Miss Rush certainly tinted this reader’s dreams, painting with a palette as luminous as it is dark and making me want more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Darkness.