Amelia's Reviews > Rampant

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Before anything else, I'm glad that my summer reading adventure has set off on a good note.

If you were told that this book is about unicorns, you'd probably roll your eyes and think, "Oh jeez, this has to be good!" Well, I'll tell you right now: it IS good. Just strip away all the fluffy, winged unicorns painted in pastel colors that you've been shown since you were born. Instead, replace the sickening shade of bubble gum pink with a black darker than night. Instead of straight white teeth, picture fangs like a saber tooth tiger. Throw away the wings and enlarge the horse-sized creature by ten. Yeah, think an elephant with a mane and a shorter snout and you'd be getting warm.

What really brought me to read this book was the unique take Diana Peterfreund has on unicorns from the very start. Enter Astrid Llewellyn and her cooky mother, who absolutely insists that unicorns are real and all these crazy wild animal attacks are signs of the unicorns Reemergence. And she's sending Astrid to Rome to train to become a hunter--make that, a unicorn hunter.

Astrid is soon saddled with the knowledge that the Cloisters are a shambles and she must remain chaste in order to stay a hunter--hard to do when a cute Italian-speaking boy comes into her life. Together with her cousin Phillipa aka: Phil, Astrid embarks on the adventure behind the mystery of the history of her line while balancing archery lessons, a crazy electric throne and an irresistible boy.

Astrid is a fun character to read about.

And I noted that Diana Peterfruend does not cloud the story with descriptions on the Italian countryside. I've noticed that many authors, when placing their characters in foreign countries, absolutely love to spend pages-worth describing the streets, the people's strange faces, the "absolutely breathtaking" countryside. Diana Peterfreund keeps it real and provides just what is needed and letting the reader's imagination take over from there. A refreshing change.

If you want a book with butt-kicking fights (unicorn butt-kicking fights), a strong heroine and a delicious romance, "Rampant" has it in the bag.

Overall grade: A

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rampant.

06/05/2010 page 55