Tina's Reviews > Dear John

Feb 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read from February 03 to 05, 2010

I was expecting to fall in love with an epic love story. Instead I was captivated with John and his father's story. It was touching and heartbreaking.

Stars Breakdown

Plot 3 stars - The beginning was hard to get through. It was 25 or so pages of back story. I almost didn't continue. Nothing to spectacular happened between John and Savannah. Sparks did a good job building John's relationship with his dad.

Cover 2 stars - Nothing special. If I hadn't heard of this book prior and just saw the cover, I would pass it up.

Writing 3 stars - I like when authors are able to weave the back story to keep the pacing smooth, which wasn't done here. His writing is simplistic and doesn't stand out.

Originality 4 stars -

Characters 4 stars - I enjoyed watching John grow into a strong and loyal man. The characters in this book were well developed.

Romance/Chemistry 3 stars - It took to long for me to connect with the characters and feel the love. I didn't feel the spark between John and Savannah. Once I finally reached the point of caring for them, it was over.

Action / Romance ratio 40:60 - The romance between John and Savannah wasn't the only aspect of this book. It was more about John. Their also was a big focus on his relationship with his father. For me, that story line saved the book.

Ending 4 stars - Sure the ending didn't turn out the way some readers would have wanted, but I still felt a nice closure for John.

Good enough to pick up again 2 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.

02/03/2010 page 21
7.61% "21 pages in and it's all back story. When does it end? I'm so bored." 5 comments
02/05/2010 page 109
39.49% "I'm not feeling the love between the characters. How can they be in love after 3 dates? Or was it 2?"