Robin's Reviews > Healthy at 100: The Scientifically Proven Secrets of the World's Healthiest and Longest-Lived Peoples

Healthy at 100 by John Robbins

Mar 15, 10

bookshelves: health, self-help
Read from February 07 to March 02, 2010

Nutrition author John Robbins explains his method for long and healthy life, beginning by taking a look at four of the world’s oldest cultures in which individuals live long lives and are healthy and vital. He uses a combination of scientific research and humanitarian conjecture to help us apply what these cultures have in common to our own lives. He considers physical factors such as activity and healthful eating, psychological factors such as satisfaction with life, and social factors such as how societies expect individuals to age. The science is well-cited in a Notes section at the end of the book.

Robbins describes the cultures most charmingly. He examines four very different peoples: Abkhaisans in the Caucasus, Vilcabambans in the Andes, Hunzans in northern Pakistan, and Okinawans in Japan. He analyzes what factors make the individuals healthy and makes recommendations for incorporating the essence of their practices into our lives. Of course, he promotes a low/no meat, no dairy, no processed food, high veggie, moderate whole grain, portion-controlled diet as in previous books. Not surprisingly, he also advocates exercise and staying involved in community as we age. He also talks extensively about love and how it affects the heart physically. He reflects on societal trends and how they affect health, from well-known factors like how elders are perceived in society to more esoteric factors such as the distribution of wealth in society.

This is an interesting and fast read, especially for Robbins fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healthy at 100.