Readnponder's Reviews > Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me by Christa Parrish

Feb 01, 10

Read in January, 2010

This is the second title I've read by this fairly new author. In both "Watch Over Me" and her earlier "Home Another Way," Christa Parrish introduces characters not usually seen in Christian fiction. For that reason, I shall continue to read her work.

These characters are much less sanitized than what one finds in the typical Amish or prarie novel. They are human beings in process ... and in need of grace. This story involves a 17-year-old deaf/mute boy in renal failure; a deputy sheriff recently returned from Afghanistan struggling with survivor guilt; and his wife, a vegetarian hippie, who happens to hold the opposite position on the war.

Ben Patil, the deputy, finds an abandoned newborn baby in the course of his law enforcement duties. He and his wife foster the baby until decisions can be made about her future. The 17-year-old helps with babysitting. The novel does not have a nice, clean, happy ending. There are loose ends, and the characters do not necessarily live happily ever after. However, it feels truer to life than the neat, tidy, contrived endings I usually associate with Christian fiction.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watch Over Me.