Tommy's Reviews > Thank My Lucky Scars

Feb 05, 10

Read from February 01 to 05, 2010

Now I have to confess to the world how ashamed and embarrassed I am. I started reading, Thank My Lucky Scars, after I had met the author, Ward Foley on the Goodreads website. I read several of the reviews other people had posted there and thought. Hey, I’m also a good guy and I probably had it as bad as he did. I came down with polio when I was 4. I was paralyzed and lost both the ability to walk and talk for several years. I was in an iron lung for over six months and at one point a doctor entered the waiting room and told my mother that I had died. A few minutes later a nurse came from my room and spoke to the doctor saying I still had a pulse. I thought that I had a long hard life learning to walk and talk again, but I never had to go through all the pain, suffering, and humiliation that Ward Foley had to endure. Nor, did I give of myself as he has for so long now to comfort others. I had wanted to write, to comfort others less fortunate than he, but in Ward’s case, you just can’t do that. His book is, (and I know this statement is over used so much,) truly inspirational. Yet, in this occurrence, that is the only word I can use. Pick up his book; it will inspire you about life, faith, and the true meaning of helping others in their time of need. I recommend very few books, but I am recommending this one. You will not be disappointed. A very fast read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thank My Lucky Scars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisette Brodey Tommy: what a great review of Ward's book. I know what you mean: "inspirational" is a word we hear a lot, but sometimes, it's just because it's the word that works the best, and Ward's book truly is just that. (BTW, how interesting to hear your story, too, and glad that you came through it as you did. :)

message 2: by Paul (last edited Feb 06, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Paul Tommy, that truly is absolutely wonderful. I know that this had to be inspirational indeed for this glowing review. Very best to both you and Ward.

message 3: by Merry (new) - added it

Merry Thank you for the book suggestion, inspiration is always welcome. Your personal story is an amazing triumph! What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, or so "they" say.