Michael's Reviews > Ravens

Ravens by George Dawes Green

Feb 16, 10

Read from February 10 to 16, 2010

I'm addicted to crime novels with quirky , low life characters with unusual plots. That's why Elmore Leonard is one of my favorite writers. George Dawes Green enters into his league of writers with "Ravens". This is a black humor, twisty story about two characters who are driving through Georgia to escape their dead end jobs in Ohio and stumble into to a scam plot to extort half of the winnings from a family who just won the $318 Milion Mega-jackpot.
Shaw, the smarter of the two, weasles his way into the winning family's good fortune initially by threatening the lives of other family members through his accomplice Romeo. Somehow Shaw pulls this off and soon has the whole family and the small Georgia town's population adoring him and thinking he was sent from God to share the winnings. Then things turn suddenly out of control leading to a surprise conclusion.
This book is filled with colorful, interesting characters and a great plot. I found myself also believing that the scammer's deserved to share in the winnings and that they would get away with it.
This book is highly recommended to fans of this genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ravens.