Nicole's Reviews > The Dust of 100 Dogs

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: young_adult, best_books_ya, pirates
Read in January, 2010

Hmmm. I kept wanting this book to be more, to be better. I was captivated enough to see it through to the end, but I prodded myself along to get there. I think that King was a little choppy with transitions in the earlier part of the book, which made for difficult reading. Readers are first introduced to our heroine/pirate, Emer, at the time of her "cursing" - to live the lives of 100 dogs before being returned to a human body (infant) to start life as a human again...but will all of her former life memories in tact. We skip the dog lives and go straight to the next human life for Emer. But go choppily back and forth between the past and the present, with bits of lessons learned from her lives as 100 dogs thrown into the the mix periodically. In the latter half of the book, King hit a stride and the transitions were smoother (made more sense to me as a reader), but I also expected more from the overall story at that point...and it fell a little flat for me. It's less about pirates and more about overcome hardships in the past and present times. There are also some difficult scenes in the book (e.g., rape, animal abuse), so I would recommend this for older/more mature teen readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dust of 100 Dogs.