Darcia Helle's Reviews > Already Dead

Already Dead by Charlie Huston

Feb 07, 10

bookshelves: ebooks, fiction, fantasy-and-sci-fi, paranormal-fiction
Read from February 01 to 07, 2010

Joe Pitt, the lead character in Already Dead, is a vampyre. He lives in a city where the vampyres have split into various gangs. They jockey for power while hiding their identity from regular humans. Pitt is like a vampyre detective. He's a rogue vampyre who refuses to affiliate with any one gang. And so he works for them all.

The story was fast moving and well-written. There's mystery, suspense and humor to go along with the bloody paranormal stuff.

I read the e-book, which is being offered as a free download on Sony's Reader store (http://ebookstore.sony.com) as well as Suvudu (www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/). Huston does not use the typical dialogue format, with quotations and tags to tell you who is speaking. Instead, he uses dashes to indicate dialogue with no tags at all. These paragraphs sometimes ran into each other and consequently made it difficult to follow conversations and pick out what was spoken and what was not. This was a distraction for me. Aside from that, I enjoyed the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Already Dead.