Rachel Brand's Reviews > The Sound of Sleigh Bells: A Romance from the Heart of Amish Country

The Sound of Sleigh Bells by Cindy Woodsmall

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: amish, christmas, christian, romance, christian-romance-group-reads, cindy-woodsmall, audiobook, 2011, audible
Read from December 15 to 31, 2011

I read this after The Christmas Singing, which actually follows on from this book, but would have to say I prefer this one. It took me a while to get into it, maybe because I started listening to it when I was busy finishing off coursework at the end of the semester and wasn't able to concentrate and appreciate it properly. But by the end of the book I was really enjoying it and had really come to sympathise with Beth. The secret behind her mourning Henry definitely changed my perception of this book, which had previously seemed to be about a girl who had had one failed relationship and didn't want to be hurt again, and turned it into a much deeper, more meaningful story. I'm also impressed with Cindy for tackling such a tough subject amongst the Amish and making readers realise that such things can happen in any community. I also liked the concept of Lizzie, Beth's aunt, setting up Beth and Jonah without them realising it via letters. It was sweet, and it's not often that letters feature in such a way in Amish novels. It made a nice change. Overall, I really did enjoy this story and I'm looking forward to reading When the Heart Cries (which has been on my shelf for far too long!) sometime in 2012. 8/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Sleigh Bells.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tina You are going to love this book.
ENJOY, Rachel.

Rachel Brand Thanks! Looks like it's going to be a good one :)

Tina Oh it is indeed; long with it's sequeal The Christmas Singing.

They are both must reads for Christmas this year.

Rachel Brand I read The Christmas Singing a few weeks ago, didn't realise they were linked :)

Tina yeah, I didnt know that either until I show their release dates and did some research.