Lucy's Reviews > My Brilliant Career

F_50x66
Mar 31, 10

bookshelves: classics, school
Read from January 31 to March 18, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I am actually giving this book 3.5/5 because it wasn't bad enough to earn a 3, nor was it good enough for me to give it a 4.

I read this book for my Advanced English class and there were times when I wish I could just get this book over and done with; other times, however, I quite enjoyed it.

I really dislike Sybylla. She is so vain and conceited, and WEIRD. Honestly, you should read this book just to see how she thinks. Her mindset is so strange! The way she treats her suitors- it just makes me want to slap her!

And the way she treated Harold Beecham at the end of the novel. He was fully pleading with her to marry him (she was engaged to him for three years- though they were physically separated during that time) but she continued to reject him until he gave in and left her. She's such a bitch! (Mind the language).

Other than my annoyance with the protagonist, I quite liked this book. It isn't like other 19th century books- no, this book is in a category all its own. The novel started off rather boring, but as I progressed, and met Harry, there was quite a lot of romance which I enjoyed, so it wasn't too bad.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brilliant Career.