Dirk Grobbelaar's Reviews > Voyage of the Shadowmoon

Voyage of the Shadowmoon by Sean McMullen

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Read from January 21 to February 12, 2012

I attempted reading this novel about five years ago, but abandoned it after being bogged down for some time. Now, I have decided to give it another try, and am I ever so glad. Voyage of the Shadowmoon is actually a pretty demanding read. The world has a very “established” feel to it, even though it’s vastly different to the norm, and McMullen does not spoon-feed his readers. Bland imaginations will probably not appreciate this too much, as readers are often forced to speculate and draw their own conclusions. In fact, getting a holistic view of the proceedings here can be quite a challenge. The plot is also somewhat more complex than first impressions suggest, and navigating the warren of deception and intrigue slowed down my reading experience considerably. Despite the 550-odd pages, at which this novel isn’t exactly the biggest fantasy tome available, it took me a long time to finish. There are some really interesting aspects to the world that is only ever hinted at, little crumbs dropped here and there, and I’ll probably look up the sequels just to see whether these are explored further. Bear in mind that, despite the existence of sequels, Voyage of the Shadowmoon is a stand-alone novel and you won’t need to read any more novels in the series if this doesn’t appeal to you.

There is quite a bit of humour on offer here, and it’s handled pretty well for the most part. This adds another dimension to the reading experience and certainly ups the fun-factor. There are many characters, most of whom remain shrouded in mystery. Let me just say that nothing in this book is what it seems. My edition of Voyage of the Shadowmoon does not contain a map, which is a shame, as there are so many different nations and locations involved.

In the end I really enjoyed the novel. I was going to give it 5 stars, but the convolutedness of the whole affair eventually forced me to reconsider.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voyage of the Shadowmoon.

01/21/2012 page 56