Heather's Reviews > A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog

A Big Little Life by Dean Koontz

Feb 19, 10

bookshelves: memoir, adult, non-fiction, read-in-2010

To be honest, I’ve never read a book by Dean Koontz until I got this one for my mom for Christmas. She loves books about dogs, and I thought she’d enjoy this one. When I went up to the counter to pay for it, the lady there said she read it and really liked it.

My mom was pretty excited to get it for Christmas, and about a week later she told me that I HAD to read it. I got didn’t get around to it til last week, but I have to say, it lived up to her enthusiasm. I enjoyed it a lot. Dean managed to describe Trixie perfectly, you felt like you knew her almost as well as your own dog.

Dean has a great sense of humor. I don’t know if it comes out as well in his other books, but I loved it in this one. It really felt like you could relate to him more.

I know there are a lot of dog memoir type books on the market. I’ve read a lot of them. But I think so far this is my favorite one. The ending was a tear jerker, and I was sad (and even cried a little) when the end came for Trixie, though I’m sure it didn’t compare to what Dean and his wife Gerda went through. But at the same time it wasn’t sappy like a lot of these kinds of books can get like.

All in all I’d definitely recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Big Little Life.

01/31/2010 page 37