April's Reviews > Crocodile on the Sandbank

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

May 14, 11

bookshelves: mystery, ereader, historical-fiction, fill-in-the-gaps-project
Read from September 10 to November 14, 2010

Originally posted here: http://www.goodbooksandgoodwine.com/2...

I read the vast majority of Crocodile On The Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters on my iPhone, something I don’t recommend, as I was easily jarred out of reading, plus I didn’t really feel like I was making any progress. This isn’t to say Crocodile On the Sandbank is a bad book – it’s not, but I think ya’ll would enjoy it more in paper form or on an actual ereader.

Holy heck do I want to go to Egypt and run around solving mysteries. I will be the Daphne to Amelia Peabody’s Velma. The premise of Elizabeth Peters’ book is Amelia Peabody has come into a LOT of money. As an old maid by choice/Egyptologist, she decides to take her money and go to Egypt to check out some tombs. While there she meets a young lady named Evelyn, or rather saves Evelyn, and decides to take her on as a companion. Crossing paths with the formidable Amelia Peabody is this gruff dude Radcliff Emerson, heretofore referred to as Emerson. He finds Amelia to be a pain in the ass. Hijinks occur, as a love-hate relationship emerges between the two, FYI this is one of my favorite romantic tropes.

Amelia is an incredibly stubborn character and acts in ways that are a bit modern. Some of her stubbornness was grating, but honestly, it was mostly endearing. I love a character who won’t back down although that’s what society deems she should do. As said, Amelia and Emerson butt heads consistently, with hilarious results.

Emerson:

‘Are we all agreed? Excellent. Then Peabody had better retire to her bed, she is clearly in need of recuperative sleep; she has not made a sarcastic remark for fully ten minutes.’

I love it. I fricken love reading about Amelia and her mouthing off and being bold and standing up for herself.

Also, I learned what a Dahabeeya is. Apparently it’s a boat.

So, the premise of the mystery is that there is a ghost/mummy going around haunting the tomb site, trying to scare the Egyptologists away. The locals believe the mummy is real and won’t work on the tomb. Amelia and Emerson believe the mummy is some person dressed up, and hatch a few plans to catch the culprit.

In all, Crocodile On The Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters is a fun read. I look forward to solving more mysteries with the spunky Miss Amelia Peabody.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crocodile on the Sandbank.

11/18/2010 page 20
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) I hope you enjoy this book, it's fast becoming a favorite series of mine. In fact, in honor of this book and also the Theodosia Throckmorton books I'm making February on my blog Egypt month!

Allison (The Allure of Books) yeah, you need to get going with this series. It is uh-mazing. I really think...no, know! that you'll love it.

April I can't wait to read these books, I picked up several of the later books in the series at the library booksale this weekend. :-)

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Library book sales are wonderful, I got a lot of Peters at mine too!

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Can I be part of the Emerson Peabody Scoobies?