Saxon's Reviews > Snow

Snow by Orhan Pamuk

Nov 20, 07

bookshelves: school
Recommended for: people interested in modern turkey
Read in October, 2007

I heard alot about Pamuk. He seems to be gracing the A&C sections of all the periodicals that I frequently read. This has sparked an interest in him for quite some time now. This is the first novel that I have read of his, Snow was assigned for my Novel on the Globe course.
Unfortunately, Snow proved slightly disappointing. After a lengthy in-class discussion, I pinpointed my troubles with the novel down the three main things that can be easily summed up:

*way too episodic and often times feeling like a soap opera.

*poor character development. The book consist of alot of characters and lot of dialogue all which about half way through the book starts to blend together. Differentiating between the characters becomes difficult and they all begin to feel like they lack characteristics to make them unique. Its actually pretty amazing that with a novel that is almost 500 pages that character development lacks. What the hell else where you writing about?

*employment of cheap tactics to keep reader interested. The first half of the book is like a cheap detective novel. I feel almost offended that Pamuk felt the necessity to employ such blatant and overt tools as an attempt to keep me turning pages.

Other than that the book does contain some good elements touching on the extremes of both devout state-sponsored secularism and the violent actions of fanatical islamists. He also plays with theme of time which adds an interesting element to the narrative overall.

I would like to read something else by him...but this didnt encourage me too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow.