Clytee's Reviews > The Children's Blizzard

The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin

F_50x66
Jan 31, 10

Read in January, 2010

This is a non fiction book putting together stories about an incident I had heard about all through my childhood, the "great blizzard of 1888".

My home state of Nebraska was affected by this fierce blizzard and cold wave that came up so fast that it killed several of the pioneers/immigrants/farmers living on the prairie I grew up on. Many were caught being unable to see even between their barns and homes. A lot of the deaths were children trying to get home (or somewhere safe) from their rural one to four room schools. There is a mosaic honoring one school teacher that lead her children to safety in the blizzard in the rotunda of the state capitol of Nebraska that remember seeing many times as a child.

So, I was interested in this book on many levels. The places and setting across the MIdwest are very familiar to me. I'd heard the stories all my life, plus it involved German and Scandanavian immigrants. I am descended from German and Scandanavian immigrants of the same time period, and I am studying them with renewed interest as I take up my family history again.

There was too much on weather in the book for my likes, but the rest was fascinating.

Quote: "Kari was one of those grandmothers who leave an indelible impression on her grandchildren." I want to be one of those!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children's Blizzard.