Cera's Reviews > Cetaganda

Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold

Apr 15, 10

Read from April 12 to 14, 2010, read count: 3

My 2nd or 3rd reread of this, and I had very mixed feelings. I love Cetagandan culture -- Bujold clearly drew on Japanese history, with her artistic high-culture Imperial haut who are carefully keeping the reins on the military ghem; the two classes need one another and struggle against one another in equal measure.

What I liked less about the book was, surprisingly, Miles. Young, brash, impetuous, arrogant Miles, who is so convinced of his own competence and almost everyone else's *in*competence that he has to do everything by himself. I'm sure Bujold knows what she's doing here, and has no illusions that her hero is actually acting in the best interests of anyone around him, but it was still difficult to read, mostly because when I was in my early 20s his behaviour seemed so completely appropriate & now in my mid-30s it seems so frustratingly selfish.

Overall I'm glad I reread it, and will probably reread it again for the culture, but I'm looking forward to watching Miles reach painful maturity in the next few books.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cetaganda.

04/13/2010 page 119