Erin's Reviews > Hawaii

Mar 14, 08

Recommended to Erin by: Lisa
Recommended for: all
Read in March, 2008

Wowzers! This was a long one, but a good one. It is definitely worth reading and it takes so long that you are able to get really invested in it. My lines between fiction and reality were definitely blurred! I just wondered how much of the book was based on the real evolution of Hawaii because it's how I like to learn my history.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hawaii.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erin Lisa, I'm struggling here with this 1000 page epic. It taunts me. I'm only 100 pages in and I need a little persuasion. Is it really worth it? I can't seem to get over the Bora Bora people and their human sacrificing left and right.

Lisa Nelson I know I know!! I dragged through the first maybe 150 pages and put it down several times before finally going on. It was truly painful to turn the pages. Stick with it and I promise you will love it when it gets going.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Loved this book - although I started it on a plane as I was leaving Hawaii with six leis around my neck. How geeky can one get?

Robin I agree the lines between fact and fiction were blurred. For another perspective, I suggest "Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen" by the last queen, Lil`uokalani. I think she was rather misrepresented but you can read her writings and judge for yourself. (I skipped over the first part that was too much confusing lineage stuff). The language is a bit old fashioned, because it was written back in Victorian times. To me she seems very forgiving and kind, not like the power hungry pompous character as Michener portrays her. Of course, back in 1959 (when Hawaii was written), women were not supposed to act powerful.

Erin Interesting, thanks for the advice. I like female perspectives.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita I love Michener, but always have to work up to read such long books. I enjoy starting with the geologic ages and working up to the present. The Covenant (on South Africa), Chesapeake (on Chesapeake!), Alaska (ditto) and The Source (Israel) are my favorites--whoops, those may be all the ones I've read. Wait a minute, Centennial was great too.

Erin Impressive. Not an easy feat.

Robin Wow, that *is* impressive. Now that I've finished Hawaii, I'm wondering which of his others to read next. I've read the shorter ones: Kent State, The Drifters, Tales of South Pacific, Caribbean, and am thinking his autobiography, The World is my Home, sounds interesting--and short! But Centennial and Chesapeake are contenders, thanks for the ideas.