Carly's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

1982063
Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery-horror, paranormal, scifi-fantasy
Read from December 26 to 31, 2011

What an interesting read...Wow. This is a book that quite shocked me for I had no clue what it was even about when I started to read it. I thought it would just be another one of those boring little books, but hah - I was surprised. This book truly seems to satire how a Southern town is stuck in the past, as the people of the town constantly immerse themselves in the past happenings of the Civil War. It kind of horrifies me, and I would feel sorry for whatever town there is like Gatlin today... (as I am sure there are quite a few!) I'm glad I chose to read this book now, after my history class just focused on the Civil War because I have great background knowledge whenever "Mr. Lee" is mentioned or the March to Sea & such. I feel that if I hadn't learn about the details of the Civil War prior to reading this book, I would have been totally bored by this book. No joke.

Anyway, a very intriguing read to me, although a bit creepy in the sense that Lena & Ethan's relationship seems a bit fake. Plus, I got tired of reading Ethan saying he "promises" this & that to try to make everything okay - but does he do anything? NO. Quite annoying. Book needs a faster pace. Overall, I shall continue with the series. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.