elissa's Reviews > By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

Feb 05, 10

bookshelves: my_10s_reads, youngadult
Recommended to elissa by: buzz
Read from January 31 to February 03, 2010

I'm not completely sure what to make of this one yet. Maybe I'll figure it out when I think about it more. It's definitely a "problem novel" with a capital "P", but it's also definitely well written and engaging. Before the very end, I would have said that it was just too depressing for me, but I like the Giver-like ambiguous ending. As with The Giver, I personally assume that Daelyn will be OK, but I'm sure that not everybody will have that same reaction. I really like the exploration of "bullycide", a term that I hadn't heard before, and I think the Discussion Guide and Resource List by C.J. Bott at the end is excellent. I figured that through-the-light.com was fictious, but I like that it leads to the a website featuring the same text as the resource guide at the end of the book, with clickable links.

Update on March 1st: I'm making this my first 2010favorite, mostly because it's March and I haven't read any other new books yet that I'd consider putting on that list. Not likely that it'll survive to the end of the year at 3 1/2 stars, though. My favorites of the year are almost all 4 1/2 & 5 star books.

Update Sept 29: Left my 2010favorite shelf after I read JUMP.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead.

01/31/2010 page 55
27.5% "This is good so far. I think Peters' writing has really improved."