Carrie's Reviews > A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller

A Year in the World by Frances Mayes

Feb 18, 10

bookshelves: twenty-ten, travel

Is there a decent travel writer who isn't a pretentious windbag? It's fascinating to me how a woman who has made a career out of traveling to amazing places can be SO DULL. Her disdain for most of the British Isles annoys me. Sorry it's not your gorgeous Italy, but get over it. Also, she called Wales England, which it is not. England is one of my favorite places, and Frances Mayes managed to bore me to death because she wanted to explain the whole country through GARDENS. Ok, maybe gardens are an important feature of British culture, but I don't care about how many flower varieties you see and what planting techniques you want to use in your Italian garden.

I think she hates fat people, too.

A lot of my resentment for this book and Frances Mayes maaaay have something to do with the fact that she is much older than me. Whereas I am content to stay in hostels of questionable cleanliness, she whines about a rental house that is too close to the road, and thus too noisy. I don't think she'd be very fun to travel with.

Still, 3 stars, because some chapters actually were beautiful.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year in the World.