ctwayfarer's Reviews > Learning the bash Shell

Learning the bash Shell by Cameron Newham

Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: best-books-of-all-time
Read from October 13, 2010 to March 12, 2011

This book is fantastic if you've never really programmed before and have no idea whatsoever of where to begin learning programming. An extremely rudimentary knowledge of how to use the Linux command-line is all that is required.

The book introduces programming concepts gently - using sample exercises or projects. My professional background is far removed from the IT world, although I've been using Linux (Debian, Ubuntu and Arch Linux so far) for a couple of years and even I'm amazed at how easy the material is to grasp. The authors have done a splendid job.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learning the bash Shell.

10/14/2010 page 202
61.0% "Chapter 8"
10/14/2010 page 214
64.0% "EXCERPT: "... If alice is still running when the script finishes, then it becomes an orphan, i.e., it enters one of the "funny states" we mentioned earlier in this chapter. Never mind the details of orphanhood; just believe that you don't want this to happen, and if it does, you may need to use the "runaway process" method of stopping it, discussed earlier in this chapter....""
10/14/2010 page 221
66.0% "Bash Debugging Aids "...Consider this inane number-guessing program...""
10/14/2010 page 230
69.0% "In this chapter: 9.Debugging Shell Programs > A bash Debugger"