Jacqueline's Reviews > Seduce Me at Sunrise

Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas

Nov 30, 14

bookshelves: author-lisa-kleypas, genre-romance-historical, trope-rags-to-riches-vice-versa, trope-hero-across-the-tracks, trope-hero-tortured, trope-hero-alpha, trope-threes-company-or-more, genre-romance-historical-victorian, trope-hilarity-within, trope-friends-to-lovers, trope-heroine-spinster-old-maid, trope-hero-unrequited-love, trope-angst-ridden, trope-at-odds-couple, trope-big-misunderstanding, trope-brit-other-pairing, trope-childhood-bond, trope-forbidden-love, trope-fairy-tale-beauty-beast, trope-hero-ethnic-flavor, trope-hero-fallen, trope-hero-introverted, trope-hero-job-self-made, trope-hero-knight-in-shining-armor, trope-hero-misfit, trope-hero-mr-darcy-clone, trope-hero-jealous-protective, trope-hero-working-class, trope-heroine-alpha, trope-heroine-deformed-scar-disable, trope-heroine-hoyden-or-spirited, trope-heroine-ill-physically, trope-heroine-in-pursuit, trope-heroine-misfit, trope-heroine-tortured, trope-heroine-wallflower, trope-jealousy-runs-amok, trope-lost-heir, trope-perfect-banter, trope-shhh-its-a-secret, trope-siblings-or-family-within, series-the-hathaways, classified-five-stars
Read from November 20 to 26, 2012, read count: Once

Frankly, this is a damned good story. It's as simple, and as uncomplicated as that point-blank statement. Lisa Kleypas managed to capture a remarkable emotionally driven plot that stayed engagingly entertaining, and, most importantly, believable.

I think what most drew me to the story of Kev and Win was the fact that their classic star-crossed lovers theme held within it an even more dramatic flare; Win's illness. There are many tropes throughout this book, from childhood bonds, to childhood love, branching all the way into the self-tortured hero. And, yet, what is so amazing about all the above tropes was that, rather than taking away from the story, each dramatic point aided in elevating the story, rather than bogging it down with unnecessary plot points.

To say that I was in love with Win, and Kev, as characters would be a massive understatement. These two people are such a physical presence in the story that I never doubted their reality at all. Throughout the story, even when one of the two leads were doing something marginally unnecessary, or being too stubborn for their own good, I believed their actions. At no time did I imagine their motivation to be faulty, or thin. In truth, I think Kleypas forced me to care as much for the individuals as for their couple.

The plot, too, was interesting in its own right, since it was, unquestionably, emotionally driven. These are often my favored types of story lines, but they're the most dangerous, too. It seems easier for authors to advance a plot from point A to point B, moving the characters around the board in an efficient fashion, allowing drama to occur where it will. In emotionally driven plots, it's much easier for the story line to become stagnant and thin. At no such point did Seduce Me At Sunrise EVER attain that feeling. I was amazed, almost, as the level of tension and conflict that, while in some ways staying true to form from the onset of the novel, likewise managed to morph throughout the chapters.

Kleypas did a wonderful job at meshing the highly tense emotions of the story with the seemingly shocking outward conflict that did emerge at the end of the book. This, along with the beautiful romanticism and compatibility between not just the leads, Win and Kev, but among the entire Hathaway family. I'm very intensely interested in seeing the subsequent cast in their own books, most especially Leo and the governess Miss Marks. Call it cliche, but c'mon, who doesn't love a cliche?

Quotes:

"I'm not good enough for you. But no one is. And most men, good or bad, have limits to what they would do, even for someone they love. I have none. No God, no moral code, no faith in anything. Except you. You're my religion. I would do anything you asked. I would fight, steal, kill for you." - Kev

"I love you. I love every part of you, every thought and word...the entire complex, fascinating bundle of all the things you are. I want you with ten different kinds of need at once. I love all the seasons of you, the way you are now, the thought of how much more beautiful you'll be in the decades to come. I love you for being the answer to every question my heart could ask." - Kev
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduce Me at Sunrise.

11/24/2012 page 238
66.0% "I have to say that, for creating compelling, interesting characters, Kleypas pwns the HR genre."