Jacqueline's Reviews > To Beguile a Beast

To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt

Nov 30, 14

bookshelves: author-elizabeth-hoyt, trope-heroine-across-the-tracks, trope-fairy-tale-beauty-beast, genre-romance-historical, trope-hero-tortured, trope-scottish-irish-locale, genre-romance-historical-victorian, trope-hero-deformity-scars-disabled, trope-fairy-tale-retelling, classified-five-stars
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
Recommended for: Beauty-And-The-Beast theme lovers
Read from May 19 to 21, 2010, read count: Once

Such a great story! This plot line was basically simple and perfect, with the characters seeming very deep and 'real.' The heroine of the story was of a different sort of character, at least for me. Helen is an ex-mistress with two children who flees London in an attempt to escape her 'provider.' Normally I don't read romances that feature heroines that mistresses. And while this is typically a theme concept that I avoid, I did find Helen to be a very admirable and inspiring character.

I truly enjoyed the hero Alistair, as well. Truly this novel is a "modern" spin on the classic beauty-and-the-beast tale, and Hoyt did a marvelous job making this story feel realistic and touching.

In truth, this book is entirely character driven, which is perfectly fine since this story was done so well. I never became bored or irritable with this book, and was so enthralled with what was happening between the hero and heroine, for I loved the romantic pacing Hoyt constructed between Alistair and Helen. Overall, a great book with a very enjoyable story containing lovable characters and a very happy ending!

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Beguile a Beast.

05/19/2010 page 272
81.68% "Amazing plot, and completely lovable characters!"