Ann's Reviews > Songs in Ordinary Time

Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris

F 50x66
Feb 07, 10

Read in February, 2010

I had read one other book by this author and loved it -- especially the poetic q1uality of the writing.

This one -- although rivetinng was not quite as good as the last. The topic -- a dysfunctional family and all its traumas, issues and communication (or lack of) was not quite so enticing. Nor did it lend itself to the style of writing I encountered in the first book of this author I read.

However, it is a good read -- the Fermoyle family -- all of whom seem sad, lonely and barely making it, in their own eyes -- and yet none of them quite able to take the step to reach out to others who might help or ease their burdens .

Most of the story revolves around Marie, the mother, and ex-wife of the drunken, Sam, trying to raise her 3 kids and keep things going, when she is charmed by the slick talking salesman (and conman/murderer) Omar Duval -- the one person she does reach out to and allows to come in to her life -- but what a mistake that is!!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs in Ordinary Time.