Jenna's Reviews > Empress

Empress by Karen Miller

F_50x66
Jan 31, 10

** spoiler alert ** My first reaction to this book, while I was still halfway through, was slight disappointment. The concept of an omniscient God that directs every event in the world, both large and small, took away most of the excitement and drama of the story. You couldn't really worry for anyone, or cheer them on, because whatever happened was predetermined, nothing they did or thought could change it. Also, the main character Hekat started rubbing me the wrong way about halfway through- I realized that I didn't LIKE her, at all! I started wishing the God would strike HER down, as she had struck so many in the God's name.

However, by the time I finished, the waters had started to muddy, so to speak. Both my opinion and the concept of one omniscient God were no longer certain. I wasn't originally planning to continue this series, but I think I might want to see where it goes. I would SO love to see the blood-hungry, cruel god of Mijak brought to ruin, and Hekat along with it. We shall see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empress.