MacK's Reviews > The Chosen: The Hidden History of Admission and Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton

The Chosen by Jerome Karabel

Jul 10, 10

bookshelves: gave-up, non-fiction

In The Chosen Jerome Karabel has compiled a comprehensive and riveting account of the hidden causes for American education as we know it today. Why do we have to write essays? Why is the SAT so important? Why do you always feel like a poodle on display throughout interviews in musty admissions offices? Because Harvard, Yale and Princeton did it...that's why.

Questions about access to education, the value of education and the quest to retain the power of those who had already received their education come through in page after page of well woven history. The characters are dynamic engaging figures and the events can be, at times, shocking.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of events, and a lot of characters. And if you're reading this book in addition to several hundred other pages of literary theory throughout your graduate school career you're really not going to pick up the book with real enthusiasm at the end of the night. It had to go back to the library, and sad as I was to not finish it, I feel that it is worth reading, no matter how much you read of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen.