Nic's Reviews > It's Not Summer Without You

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, summertime-fun, romance-awww, favourites, read-in-2011, swoon-worthy-read
Read from April 12 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

For helpful visuals of Conrad and Jeremiah: http://irresistiblereads.blogspot.com...

Favourite Quote: "I stared at him. Did he really say that? Did he remember? The way he looked back at me, one eyebrow raised, I knew he did. And this time, I was the one to look away.
Because I remembered. I remembered everything."

Don't you love it when the second book in a series is way better than the first? That is the case with It's Not Summer Without You. I enjoyed The Summer I Turned Pretty but sometimes founds the characters are little annoying. But in this installment of the series the characters have grown and the story seems a little deeper and more meaningful.

I love Han's writing. She really captures the emotions of being a teen and in love. I am sure we all remember how painful and confusing it is. And Han writes it perfectly so that it causes your heart to ache.

Belly's character is showing some maturity in this book. If you have read the first book you will know she was a little bit selfish. Sure she still makes mistakes but in this installment she starts to get a little wiser.

"That's when I finally got it. I finally understood. It wasn't the thought that counted. It was the actual execution that mattered, the showing up for somebody. The intent behind it wasn't enough. Not for me. Not anymore. It wasn't enough to know that deep down, he loved me. You had to actually say it to somebody, show them you cared. And he just didn't. Not enough."

Love triangles for me are either sooooooo bad or sooooo good. And surprisingly, considering it is two brothers (how more complicated could it get), it is good. Probably because I really love them both even though they are complete opposites.

Conrad is moody and sometimes selfish and is definitely unpredictable when it comes to his interactions with Belly. I love how in this book his character is very slowly unravelling and we are getting a glimmer of who he really is behind all that angst. And there is something about a flawed soul that I can't resist.

Jeremiah made me swoon. I mean how could anybody not adore this guy especially since in this book we got snippets of his POV allowing us to get know him on a deeper level. Seriously, he is the biggest sweetheart and the underdog when it comes to Belly's affection.

Overall, I loved It's Not Summer Without You.

Shout Out: I would like to say a big thank you to Nomes for reading this with me. It was an awesome experience. We read it over one night and check in every hour or so to discuss. We had so much fun dissecting the book and ended up typing over 3700 words through conversation on google docs about it. Okay so most of it was Jeremiah is making me swoon and Conrad is moosy....I mean moody (still laughing about your typos Nomes).
84 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not Summer Without You.

Quotes Nic Liked

Jenny Han
“He started to say something, maybe an apology and maybe not, and then he stopped, he leaned over and pulled me toward him - like by gravitational force. He kissed me, hard, and his skin was stubbly and rough against my cheek. My first thought was, I guess he didn't have time to shave this morning, and then - I was kissing him back, my fingers winding through his soft yellow hair and my eyes closed. He kissed like he was drowning and I was air. It was passionate, and desperate, and like nothing I had ever experienced before.
This was what people meant when they said the earth stopped turning. It felt like a world outside of that car, that moment, didn't exist. It was just us.”

Jenny Han
“There are moments in life that you wish with all your heart you could take back. Like, just erase from existence. Like, if you could, you'd erase yourself right out of existence too, just to make that moment not exist.”

Jenny Han
“I will never look at you in the same way ever again. I'll never be that girl again. The girl who comes running back every time you push her away, the girl who loves you anyway.”

Jenny Han
“We stood there, looking at each other, saying nothing. But it was the kind of nothing that meant everything.”

Jenny Han
“That's when I finally got it. I finally understood. It wasn't the thought that counted. It was the actual execution that mattered, the showing up for somebody. The intent behind it wasn't enough. Not for me. Not anymore. It wasn't enough to know that deep down, he loved me. You had to actually say it to somebody, show them you cared. And he just didn't. Not enough.”

Jenny Han
“I stared at him. Did he really say that? Did he remember? The way he looked back at me, one eyebrow raised, I knew he did. And this time, I was the one to look away.
Because I remembered. I remembered everything.”

Jenny Han
“How do you regret one of the best nights of your entire life? You don't. You remember every word, every look. Even when it hurts, you still remember.”

04/12 page 2
1.0% "Ready to go Nomes! Woo hoo! ~counts down to 8~"
04/12 page 141
49.0% "Loving this more than the first one! Even MOOSY Conrad ;)" 2 comments
02/19 marked as: read

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Apr 13, 2011 03:49AM) (new) - added it

Jessica Hmm, I didn't like book 1 all that much but maybe I should give this one a try anyway...you guys made me curious with your mixed opinions ^^

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I know that for some it might be annoying this series especially since nothing get resolved and there is a complicated love triangle.

I will work on my review this weekend :)

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Does the love triangle still involve the two brothers and Bellybutton?

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic LMAO.....yes!!!

But in book #2 it made my heart ache (and also melt).

message 5: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Definitely glad you liked it Nic! =}

I can't read this series. I dogged the first book so bad that I had some rabid fans come at me... so based on principle alone... no bellybuttons for me. :p

message 6: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Hm, the only other love triangle with two brothers I've read is in The Forest of Hands and Teeth. (HATEHATEHATE) I'd like to read one where it isn't ridiculously annoying. Sounds like I better read the first one in this series...

Jasprit Great review Nic! The POV from Jeremiah just made me fall for him even more, but I still love Conrad too! :)

Nomes it was awesome reading this with you Nic :)

love moosy conrad and swoony Jeremiah

@ Flann ~ GOSH I love TFOHAT, haha. Although I liked each book progressively more as the series went on. I know a lot of ppl hate it though (incl you :)

message 9: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Flannery - I know brothers is never a good thing but it did work in this installment of the series. The next one not so much.

@ Jasprit - I am Conrad girl but Jeremiah is just beautiful in this installment. Although I felt differently in the next installment.

@ Nomes - Reading book 3 was funny too!

Nomes thanks nic

reading book #3. GOSH ~ what a train wreck for me. I still have not not recovered. ARGH. You were very soothing to vent to :)

Nomes "helpful visuals" LOL ~ i like the rather clinical term you have coined ;)

message 12: by papalbina (new)

papalbina love the review... it made me want to read them, although i'm still not sure about them... is there any bad heart-breaking drama in them??

message 13: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic @ Nomes - I was tempted to just say perv ;)

Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner Finally,Conrad and Jeremiah!

message 15: by papalbina (new)

papalbina @ Papalbina - There are moments of drama and angst but it is not a sad series at all. And it ends HEA :)"
sounds good for me... let's see if i find the e-books ^__^

message 16: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Great review =)

message 17: by Arlene (new)

Arlene So who does Bellybutton chose? Brother triangles don't seem like my thing. Great review Nic and glad to hear there was a great discussion with Nomes. Moosy?? LOL!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko What an awesome review Nic! It sounds like you and Nomes had such an enjoyable time. It is ironic as a GR friend just recommended this series to me yesterday. I still am undetermined about giving it a go however you helped to give me a bit of a nudge. So happy you enjoyed!

message 19: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic @ Zemira - I kept getting request for them.

@ Papalbina - I hope you like them.

@ Crystal - Thanks :)

@ Arlene - Do you really want to know??? I will spoil you if you want? And Me and Nomes definitely had an awesome time swooning discussing this book.

@ Jojo-Jo Anna - I think it is definitely worth a read :)

message 20: by Arlene (last edited Jul 20, 2011 05:46PM) (new)

Arlene Sure, sure I want to know. On principle alone I can't read these. LOL (view spoiler)

message 21: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic (view spoiler)

message 22: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Knew it! I should write a book. :) Thankies for the spoiler.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko @Arlene I had to go read your review of the first book and then the comments. I wish we would have know one another then. I can be sorta mouthy. LOL

bailey I didn't read all of the comments but I'd like to agree with the person who hated the forest of hands and teeth (i couldn't even finish it which is saying something for me) and share the fact that Conrad makes me so upset for doing what he does because I feel that if he had a real, unselfish love, he wouldn't be that way. and the fact that I love Jeremiah:)

message 25: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I really loved Jeremiah in this book but I think in the next book we really get to see a side of Conrad we haven't before. For me it was a hard choice between the two :)