Anne's Reviews > The Dark Divine

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Jun 17, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, signed-by-author, reviewed, audible
Read from February 02 to 04, 2010

I read this book a few months ago and just purchased the audiobook to listen to at work. I am so glad that I am revisiting this book because it is amazing! Grace Divine is the daughter of a pastor which has its own set of expectations above and beyond that of a normal teenage girl. Like all good stories there is a boy (a supremely hot bad boy at that). Daniel Kalbi has had it rough, coming from an abusive family, but luckily he had the Divine’s to count on. He grew up next door to Grace and her brother Jude. Jude and Daniel were best friends growing up but all that changed a few years ago when Jude came home bloody and broken and Daniel disappeared. Jude wont talk about what happened that night and so Grace has always wondered what became of the boy she knew.

Daniel has returned and the past is quickly coming back to bite Grace. The simple crush she fostered for Daniel when they were kids is rekindled by his return and she can’t seem to stay away from him despite her brothers warnings. Why does Jude hate Daniel so much? And once Grace finds out, can she get past the horrible truth and find a way to save Daniel without losing her very soul in the process? The beauty of this book is the suspense that builds behind the secrets of Daniel’s past. I don’t want to spoil anything for those who have not read it because the guess work is half the fun.

The romance in this book is amazing as well. I love it when characters grow up together and fall in love. I love the history of it. The next installment is due out in December of this year!! I can’t wait! This may be Bree Despain’s debut, but we will be seeing a lot of her in the future I am sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Divine.

Quotes Anne Liked

Bree Despain
“I almost laughed in spite of my nerves. What were the odds that two werewolves had the hots for
me? Like I was some gigantic monster magnet. Was there a sign on my back that said, bite me,
i'm available !?”
Bree Despain, The Dark Divine

02/04/2010 page 205
06/15/2010 page 250
67.0% "I read this in December and decided to reread it. I love this book! Cant wait for The Lost Saint!"
06/17/2010 page 372
100.0% "Loved it even more the second time around!"
show 2 hidden updates…