Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)'s Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Feb 14, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fiction, cat-series, cat-youth-audience, f-fantasy-scifi, f-general
Read from February 04 to 05, 2010

Although I wasn't too impressed with City of Bones, I was hooked enough to grab the next book from the library and place a hold on the third. Though the suspense only deepened, I am hoping for more answers in the 3rd book, City of Glass.

My opinion
City of Ashes is just as quick a read as City of Bones. It starts out where the first book left off - with a confused Jace and Clary trying to adapt to the weird family revelation made by Valentine. Clary's best friend, Simon, comes back into prominence and re-bonds with Clary. Valentine, on the other hand, is trying to get control of the second Mortal Instrument, the Soul-Sword. He still has cleansing of the Downworlders on his agenda.

I found the character relationships better developed here. Jace, especially was well-written, though he mostly struck me as unpredictable in his thoughts and actions. Simon, as Clary's best friend, and potential boyfriend, is thankfully not projected as a dumb-head in this book. I was tired of all the verbal bullying he had to endure from Jace, Alex and Isabella, and I'm sure if not for Clary, he would have given the Shadowhunters the cold shoulder, which is what I wanted him to do. He is more into his person in this book, and it was nice to see Jace standing up for Simon, once in a while.

As in the first book, I wasn't too impressed with the writing and the dialogue delivery. There are lines of conversations that were very irrelevant. Such conversations are brought in, usually to build rapport among the characters and to increase our familiarity with the characters. Somehow, I felt neither in this case, since I already knew the characters well, and they knew each other well too. Moreover, 453 pages is quite long, considering there is quite a bit of irrelevant banter in the book. At one point, I just wanted to finish the book, since it was getting too predictable for comfort.

Those who didn't read the first book, skip the following paragraph and head over to the next.

I would have expected Jace and Clary to embrace each other as siblings and get used to it, not have another go at kissing as was suggested by the Queen Fey. Probably the plot line demanded it, but there really was no need of some romance just to include it. I am guessing that all this is done for a purpose, so that when some different revelation is made in the next book, the reader is able to invite the romance as natural. Nevertheless, I did cringe on reading this. It was a horrible thing to imagine.

Thankfully, there was more original content in this book than in City of Bones. Remember I mentioned that I found City of Bones to be medley of a few popular books. City of Ashes though, has quite a few concepts original to it, at least, I hadn't read of them in any other book (and since I read very little fantasy, please do not take my word for or against it.)

For no reason, than just to share with you, here's a quote I really liked from this book:

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be?

Overall, I give City of Ashes the same rating as City of Bones. This is quite a gripping read, with plenty of thrills and twists. A guilty pleasure read.

Title Demystified
I thought the title, City of Bones, was hard to crack. City of Ashes is even harder! There's not much indication what this title stands for other than the Silent City, which is what City of Bones meant as well. The Silent City is the "library" of the Shadowhunters maintained by the Silent Brothers, who speak in your head and mutilate themselves to enhance their knowledge.

Cover Art Demystified
The red haired girl on the cover is Clary, and unlike Jace in the cover of the first book, who is completely adorned with runes, Clary has just a few, but as you will see in this book, she manages pretty well, due to, err, an uncanny power that she has.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

Quotes Athira Liked

Cassandra Clare
“As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be?”
Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes

message 1: by Amanda J (new) - added it

Amanda J Aths,
I've been looking at the series for a while, but just can't decide if it's worth picking up.

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Amanda, the series is pretty interesting. I would recommend it if you like paranormal themes, a lot of suspense and some thrills. But it's not one of the best written series, so far as the prose is concerned. Not that it is immature. But some of the similes don't make sense, there is an excess of dialogues with no purpose. Nor does it fall into any thought-provoking genre.