Jennifer's Reviews > Llama Llama Red Pajama

Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney

Jan 30, 10

Read in January, 2007

This is one of my all-time favorite books written for children. Anna Dewdney magically captures the essence of the power struggle between mothers and children at bed time and the illustrations are absolutely transfixing. Mama Llama embodies the emotional struggle we experience when we attempt to have an uninterrupted phone call while our child wails -- heaven forbid our attention is directed elsewhere at bed time.

The rhythmic verses lend themselves easily to dramatic inflection; I enjoyed reading this book to my son everyday for a year. Before my son had good language comprehension, the book helped to instill the lesson that Mommy is always nearby even when she's not at bedside, and that screaming at the top of one's lungs is not necessary to get positive attention.

Baby Llama ultimately gets his bedtime kiss and settles under the covers -- an ending that both of us always enjoyed. A book that I know I'll always enjoy reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Llama Llama Red Pajama.