Sarah's Reviews > The Making of a Marchioness

The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Mar 23, 10

bookshelves: classics, historical
Read in March, 2010, read count: 1

This is an awfully cute period romance, with some dramatic undertones. Emily is a well-bred woman whose family died when she was a child, and who understood at an early age that she would have to work for her living. She hired herself out to upper-crust ladies to run errands, plan parties, and basically act as a genteel gopher while she just barely ekes by. With a permanently sunny disposition, paired with a practical nature and a pretty face, she catches the eye of her employer's cousin. After they marry, he travels to India on business, as she deals with her husband's resentful nephew, who resents her more and more deeply as an obstacle to his eventual inheritance of her husband's properties.
While this is by no means 'fine' literature, I found it very sweet and light. Highly recommended for some Victorian-era fluff.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Making of a Marchioness.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Awwwwww! Hodgson Burnett was my fave author as a little girl. I may JUST have to check this out! Thanks!