Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Born Under a Million Shadows

Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield

Jul 08, 10

bookshelves: afghanistan
Read from July 07 to 08, 2010

I thought this was a story about life in Afghanistan after the Taliban... and it is, sorta. The story is told from eleven year old Fawad's point of view. He is a delightful boy. His narrative is full of innocent, overly wise observations about life, women, and people in general. Basically the kid voices things we all think at some point in our life, but never say. I had quite a few laugh out moments, escpecially when Fawad thought about women, Christmas, lesbians, having the squirts.. funny stuff. However, the book wasn't so much about Afghanistan as a group of English and American people living in a house in Afghanistan. Too much was about their little world, too little about Afghanistan itself.

The household consists of a British woman that moons and moons and pines away for an Afghan drug lord, (all she does is walk around the house with her unringing cell phone crying or getting drunk), an American lesbian woman that cries and gets drunk, and a British man that does nothing but get drunk and pass out on the stairs. Key words: get drunk. Every European and British person in this book is a drunken lout. Seriously. I had to take away stars for that. I didn't like or care for these people and too much of the book focused on their drama, especially about the druglord romance. Ugh.

Fawad and his mother and his friends and the blind man he works for tho: Great stuff. Good ending too. If it wasn't for all the drunken louts, This woulda been a four.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Under a Million Shadows.

07/08/2010 page 185
48.0% "I like the boy, but all the European and Americans seem to be drunken louts."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan The household consists of a British woman that moons and moons and pines away for an Afghan drug lord

His name wasn't Dominic, was it? ;-)

Tara Chevrestt No. LOL. I had forgotten about that.. Funny!