Dana's Reviews > The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette

The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson

Jan 09, 2012

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** I just started reading this book, actually I am on page 49 and I don't think I can continue to read this. While I love historical fiction I believe the author should stay true what history tells us about the person. The first thing that bothered me about this book was that there is no way a high born princess would have been left to traipse around in the woods in a cave having a make out session with the stable boy. I was also bothered by the fact that there was no mention of the process that Marie went through before she entered France, she couldn't take anything into France from a foreign court, they stripped her down and gave her a French makeover. I would think Marie would have mentioned something about that in her diary but not this diary, she arrives with her dogs and her lover stable boy. I also noticed that Louis and Marie somehow misplaced the whole coucher process of undressing and getting tucked in to bed in this diary, Louis comes in and removes his own dirty clothes and Marie is letting her own hair down and borrowing and putting on a negligee. These folks didn't dress themselves, they didn't comb their own hair, Marie wasn't even allowed to reach for anything, it was to be handed to her. Those kind of things shouldn't be changed the author could have stayed true to what we do know about Louis and Marie and still written a good work of fiction. It would have been a far better diary if she would have had Marie talking about some of the customs of the French monarchy that she wasn't used to. So if you want to know more about the real Marie Antoinette don't read this book, Marie was a fascinating woman and her real story is far better than any fictional tale.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette.