Bucko's Reviews > Fever Pitch

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: favorites, hollywood, sports, memoir-autobiography
Read in June, 2012

This is a complicated book. On the one hand it is a narrow-scoped, highly personal look at the shortcomings of one man and because of his obsession with a British football (soccer) team, one which I have a hard time thinking anyone but an Arsenal fan would enjoy. On the other hand, it just might be the greatest sports book ever written, one that might lead those who don't "get" sports to understand how and why certain people they love can care so much about a bunch of grown men running around chasing after a ball. Because of this conundrum, I want to recommend this book to everyone I know, but with the caveat that they will probably not enjoy it. "Hey you should read this - I think you'll hate it!"

The pull of Fever Pitch is Hornby relating his experience as a die-hard sports fan (in his case soccer), and what an unmerciful, miserable, but ultimately inescapable experience it truly is. I find the prevailing sentiment carries over well to other sports and it comforts me, when I find myself wondering why the (mis)fortunes of 11 or 9 or 22 men affect me so much, to know that someone out there shares and understands my pain.

Ultimately, this is not really a "sports" book. This is a book about obsession - how easy it is to fall into as well as its smothering intensity. Ostensibly a book about soccer, in reading it you can recognize the traits of that person in your life (perhaps including yourself) who loves anything just a little too much.

Update 6/12: Still amazing, and it makes a lot more sense to me now that I know a little bit about the PL.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Pitch.

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Cowden To me, this book resonated not just for sports fans, but for die-hard fans of just about anything. The emotional roller-coaster Hornby describes in his football fandom resonates clearly with, say, my Star Wars fandom, and all the problems I have with it.

I don't think one needs to care about sports to find this book useful, it's really about being a more-than-casual fan of *anything*.

Pedro Benoliel I agree totally. As I said in my review, I want to enlarge sections of this book to poster size and plaster them on the walls of people who tell me things like "YOU didn't win anything, THEY did", so that they can understand why WE won the game, and not just THEM.