Melissa's Reviews > Casting Off

Casting Off by Nicole R. Dickson

Feb 01, 10

bookshelves: irish, fiction
Read from January 29 to 31, 2010

I finished this book on Saturday morning and was delighted to leave it behind. Despite the charming setting, it was a shallow, sappy romance with a sort of a knitting theme. The "folklore" surrounding the history of Aran knitting was mostly false or speculative and I found that very annoying.

The chapter headings included a quote from a fictitious book written in the future by one of the characters in the novel and took the form of definitions of specific Aran stitch patterns, but also included metaphors related to the story. This was confusing, distracting, annoying.

If you are not a serious knitter and you like flimsy romances, go for it. I have read many of the knitting needlework related novels and mysteries - most are lightweight entertainment at best, but this one needed a rewrite.

And by the way, the title terminology is wrong - a knitter Casts On a garment but Binds Off at the end. Casting off is a nautical term, but not a correct knitting term.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Casting Off.

message 1: by June (new)

June I am a serious knitter, spinner and I just don't read these type of novels. Mostly because the authors can't even be bothered to look into the subject (other than romance) that they are writing about.

And they want me to give them a sale? I don't think so.

Melissa Well, I do get these from my library! No sales involved.

I love reading books for which the authors have done extensive research and I as a reader get the cream of their findings. But this book just ticked me off. Plus I knew who she would marry from the moment he appeared. What fun is that?

On the other hand, it has pushed me to do more reading about Real History of traditional knitting. Where is my Rev. Rutt?

message 3: by June (new)

June Well, that's good at least!

message 4: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Finishing a knitting project can be called bind off OR cast off. Both are acceptable in the knitting world. Reference: I'm an avid knitter and I've come across both terms in books and patterns.

The idea of the meanings of the aran designs is an idea the writer had and she chose to express it in this piece of fiction (not historical fiction.). Reference: i'm listening to an interview with her and she said so.

The author's mother was a knitter, but not the author herself, and she wrote this originally as a short screenplay while giving the sudden loss of her mother.
Reference: that pesky interview again, listening without judgement.