Will Byrnes's Reviews > Making Toast

Making Toast by Roger Rosenblatt

Jan 29, 10

bookshelves: biography-autobiography-memoir
Read in December, 2009

Roger Rosenblatt’s daughter Amy was 38, a doctor, a wife and a mother of three small children when she died. Making Toast is Rosenblatt’s memoir of how he, his wife, Ginny, and the people Amy left behind coped with their loss. Roger and Ginny moved in with their son-in-law, Harris, and helped raise their grandkids. He writes of the day to day activities of parenting anew, of the questions the children ask, the decisions and steps required to continue living. It is a quiet book. I almost felt as if there was a hush in the room as I read it. The story is, of course, very sad, and I went through more than a few tissues over the course of this short book. But love, caring and understanding offer structures around which one can reconstruct. Rosenblatt’s is a simple story, beautifully written, engaging and very, very human.

P 32
When I first saw Amy, curled up in the little white hospital blanket, I remembered what John Kelleher, a professor or Irish Studies at Harvard, and the father of four girls, had told me about fathers and daughters: “Every girl child peers up from her crib, sees her old man, and thinks, ‘Sucker.’”

[As the father of two girls, I felt compelled to include the above quote. It is so true.:]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Toast.