Will Byrnes's Reviews > The Devil's Star

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbø

Jan 29, 2010

liked it
Read in December, 2009

In Oslo, our hero, the very, very human Inspector Harry Hole, is trying to survive his alcoholism one day at a time, or is that one bottle at a time? But self-medicating against regular nightmares about horrific events in his past cannot kill the pain, or lessen his fears. His career is on the skids and his soul is under constant pressure from a dark-side member of the force. Hole’s obsession with work has alienated the woman he loves. His need to prove that a fellow cop is responsible for the death of his partner may be the only thing keeping him going. But he is, of course, a detecting genius. That comes in handy when women start turning up dead sans a finger, and the hunt is on for a serial killer. A good portion of the fun here is in trying to figure out whodunit along with Harry. Nesbo makes the game interesting, as there’s enough red herring here for a Soviet smorgasbord, with plenty of suspects among which to choose. None are painted too finely, but we get a nice taste of each. And although the story is set in Oslo, it seemed to me that there was not enough local color to make the siting compulsory. Really, it could have been set anywhere. Harry is a very engaging hero, someone you can root for and the crimes are a fun challenge. Enjoy.

ps - This is the fifth in Nesbo's Harry Hole series. But it was the first one for me. It made me want to read the others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Star.

07/30/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Good to know that they can be read, and enjoyed, out of order.

Will Byrnes I would like to read another of Nesbo's at some point. It was a fun read.

message 3: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I picked it up as a kindle deal yesterday. It will be my first Nesbo.

Tendai Kufazvinei this is evil God does not like that

Will Byrnes Tendai Kufazvinei wrote: "this is evil God does not like that"
Please explain

message 6: by Ethyl (new)

Ethyl Bolieu Test

nathan best football player evvveeerrrrr I was just browsing goodreads and thought he was interesting and went to comment and saw you so I decided to just comment.

nathan best football player evvveeerrrrr So you like all this stuff to.Because I do to!

Will Byrnes This is the only Nesbo I have read, but I hope to read more eventually. I like all sorts of books.

nathan best football player evvveeerrrrr I think I am gonna recomend you a book even if you do not like zombies this book will be good for you and the zombies aren't like all walking dead style!They are like real book characters the book is called Dead City the author is James Ponti author of the hunger games.

message 11: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will Byrnes Nathan Duchon wrote: "I think I am gonna recomend you a book even if you do not like zombies this book will be good for you and the zombies aren't like all walking dead style!They are like real book characters the book ..."
Suzanne Collins is the author of The Hunger Games, but she did offer a supportive quote for James Ponti's book. Sounds to me like Buffy in the Big City, which could certainly be fun.