Cyn Mistress Kitty's Reviews > Patience

Patience by Lisa Valdez

Apr 10, 10

Read in April, 2010

****************************CONTAINS SPOILERS************************************************
v
As you can see, I have not given this book any *'s and if I could, I would give negative *'s. IMHO this book was so bad that after reading hundreds of books, this book has the distinction of being the only one I could not finish.
I had an idea about the theme before I even started but I felt I could keep an open mind. I tried, really I tried to be understanding and I have read other books that deal with bdsm and haven't had a problem with them.
I thought it would be the same with this. As I started reading, at first I was mildly uncomfortable and then started disliking the characters especially Matthew. I read on and skimmed over all the punishments and humiliations as much as I could. The more i read, the more disturbed and uncomfortable I felt. I then came to the part in the book where Matthew gave Patience an unending hard spanking that would in my opinion not only bruise severely but would break the skin and possibly break bones. Next, to add insult to injury, Matthew said "Your tears make me hot and hard, and I will never tire of them. But, of course, they are not a reprieve." It was at this point I was done.
I am not a violent person but if Matthew were a real person I think I would have to kick his ass. I have never disliked a character in a book more and I don't think much of Patience either for allowing or liking this treatment.
I loved the first book Passion and felt there was real love between Mark and Passion. I didn't feel any love between Matthew and Patience only a sick kind of dominance over someone else that was cruel and selfish.
What a huge disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patience.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥ Beth (last edited Apr 10, 2010 05:08AM) (new)

♥ Beth So I've been sitting back watching and evaluating everyone's reviews of Patience and I have to say that I am now very content and happy that Amazon canceled my pre-order of this book.. I don't think I am interested in reading it at all anymore. I've read Passion and really liked it, but I'm one of those who didn't LOVE it and gave it 4 instead of 5 stars, so I've been kinda waiting and watching to see everyone's thoughts on Patience before I made a mad search to find a print version of the book. I'm not really interested in reading about an asshole hero inflicting enough pain on his lover that it brought her to tears (and even that doesn't stop him) and then calling it having sex ,,, definitely not my cuppa, so I pass!!

Great review Cyn, and after reading lots of other similar reviews, I feel I probably would have felt the same way!!!

Cyn Mistress Kitty I know others loved this book and that's ok and maybe it's just me but somehow, something struck such a cord in me to make me react so intensely to this. It just pushed a button that I personally couldn't get around. But this is just my reaction and I have been trying to understand why this book and not other books I've read with bdsm has me feeling this way. Clearly other people see it in a different prospective than me.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I don't think it was just you, Cyn. I've read books that I hated, while others just loved them! So I get what you're saying, sometimes a book is just not your thing. Been there, done that.

I loved Patience, but as I said in my review, I knew right away that not everyone would. It was very different from Passion so it wasn't quite what I had expected. I know that people will be disappointed just because of that alone, then add in the sexuality of the story and you're going to lose even more people.

I think you're review is great - honest and unapologetic! Bravo!

Cyn Mistress Kitty Thanks Dhes I just didn't see what you did but it is only 1 book and there are so many more that we have in common and love.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I agree! I just finished a book that a lot of people loved and I was very disappointed in. I'll write my review, even knowing that many will disagree with me. Oh well, that's one of the things I love about Goodreads... many reviews, many opinions, many new recommendations!

Kelly UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I agree! I just finished a book that a lot of people loved and I was very disappointed in. I'll write my review, even knowing that many will disagree with me. Oh well, that's one of the things I lo..."

Oh No Dhestiny was it Voyeur?

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Yep. Like I said, I know a lot of people loved it, but I'm not one of them. *shrugs* Different strokes and all that.

Cyn Mistress Kitty It's ok Dhes. We still love you. LOL

message 9: by Ally72 (last edited Apr 10, 2010 12:40PM) (new)

Ally72 ♥ Beth wrote: "So I've been sitting back watching and evaluating everyone's reviews of Patience and I have to say that I am now very content and happy that Amazon canceled my pre-order of this book.. I don't thin..."

Beth...I have been doing the same thing about "Patience." I was at first mad that my preorder got cancelled, but I think now Amazon did me a favor. I also liked "Passion" (I gave it four stars too), but it wasn't one I loved. Although, I definitely thought Patience's book had a lot of potential so I would have read it if the themes had been different.

Cyn...I am sorry this was such a disappointing book for you and I am definitely going to pass on reading this one for a little while. It is hard to read a book and not really like any of the characters. I guess it is good that a person usually has a lot of books to be read in the TBR pile!

Dhestiny...It is always a bummer when a person reads a book and it turns out to be not so great (especially when a lot of goodreads friends like it). Hopefully, you will like the next book you read more.

Cyn Mistress Kitty Thanks, I guess this book is another one of those that you either love or hate and I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from reading it just because I hated it. That being said, I still want to kick Matthew's ass.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Cyn, maybe you could be the Dom in the relationship and teach him a thing or two? LOL

Cyn Mistress Kitty Believe me, I thought of it. If anyone deserves a spanking, he does.LOL

message 13: by UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva (last edited Apr 10, 2010 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva ROFL!!! You could even spank his cods!!! Ooooh! There's a kinky idea! ;)

Cyn Mistress Kitty That was a funny part of the book. "Lick my cods". It sounds like a swear statement like "Kiss my ass"
I wonder how Matthew would like spanking his cods like he spanked Patience's nipples. Jeez, I'm talking like he is real. Good thing for him he's not or there would be some women out for his cods.

Kelly UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "ROFL!!! You could even spank his cods!!! Ooooh! There's a kinky idea! ;)"

Everytime I read that word all I can think of is fish. eeewww!

Cyn Mistress Kitty I'm with you. It gives new meaning to eating sushi.

Anne OK Cyn - I agreed with your review and thought you did a nice job presenting your opinion. This is one of those books that I have simply put into my "diff'rnt strokes for diff'rnt folks" category.

Cyn Mistress Kitty Thanks and you are so right.

message 19: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Featherstone Cyn, was there any other secondary characters that may be getting a book? Primrose for instance. (at least I think that's her name) Any forshadowing of themes to come?

Cyn Mistress Kitty To be honest Charlotte, I really don't know because I couldn't finish this book. I know that I've read that Primrose will have her book but what I've read in Patience there was little said about her. Maybe more was said after I quit. I haven't heard either when her book will come out. It was so long between Passion and Patience.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Sorry for butting in, I know you didn't ask me, Charlotte, but here are my thoughts... there was a lot of FitzRoy in the story... hints about his personality... he's someone I really liked. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find he and Prim together, or he and Charlotte, the cousin from Passion.

message 22: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Featherstone UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Sorry for butting in, I know you didn't ask me, Charlotte, but here are my thoughts... there was a lot of FitzRoy in the story... hints about his personality... he's someone I really liked. It woul..."

Thanks Dhes! Not butting in at all. I wonder when the next book will be out?

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I don't know, I've been tempted to write to Ms. Valdez and ask... maybe I'll do that now. We'll see what she says.

Cyn Mistress Kitty Dhes, what do you think FitzRoy is like? Does he have quirks?

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva He seemed kind of... aloof. Intense in an aloof sort of way...does that make sense? LOL I got the feeling that he's also cynical, but it seems most of them are, and maybe a bit arrogant, but again, aren't they all? When reading his small parts I couldn't help thinking that he would make a great hero. He felt much as Matthew did about society, which made me wonder what his story might be... how had he been burned?

Now keep in mind, I might be reading WAY more into FitzRoy than there is. When I'm reading I am always trying to connect with the characters - to see things from their POV and feel the emotions they're feeling. Which is probably why I seem to cry so much while reading. But honestly, he stood out, in my mind, as someone who has a story to tell, and likely a good one.

I didn't see any foreshadowing of theme for any character or the next book at all, but I do plan to read it again and maybe something will stand out!

I'm loving this discussion, by the way. It's great to be able to talk about a book even though we're on opposite ends of the spectrum in our feelings about it.

Cyn Mistress Kitty You're right it is fun.
If Primrose turns out to be a lesbian or bi-sexual or FitzRoy likes only MMF though, than that's it for me with LV. LOL

message 27: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Featherstone Well, speaking from someone who has a written a love it or hate it book, I appreciate what's going on here. Respectful pov's even though are opposite in tastes. It's made me see things in a different.

I really love Goodreads for this!

Cyn Mistress Kitty We do love to talk about books even the ones we hate. I like to think we are adult enough to respect others views and hopefully learn something or get insight into the book that we hadn't previously thought of. Everyone comes to the board with experiences and preconceived thoughts that can color how we see things. I know I just have to remember that it's not all about me and sometimes that is hard to do because I'm such a strong willed person. For me, I have to say to myself "let it go, you don't have all the answers and you might just learn something".
Some groups are not like that and can be demeaning in their opinions. They are toxic and I choose not to be a part of them. This group isn't like that at all. We have fun, can be silly and can feel safe in what we express.
After all that Charlotte, seriously, when have you EVER written a book that people would hate.

message 29: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Featherstone one word...Addicted!
I've had some terrible, soul shattering reviews on that book.

but, I can handle the ones that hated it and said why in an adult manner. I can't stand snark. Those snarky reviews do get under my skin even though I try not to let.

But thanks for the vote of confidence Cyn!

Cyn Mistress Kitty Well, that's just WRONG. I'll hold em down while you get in a few spanks.

message 31: by UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva (last edited Apr 11, 2010 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I'm going to start Addicted soon. I'm hoping I love it as much as everyone else does.

Sometimes I get embarrassed when people don't love a book as much as I do. I think "OMG, is there something wrong with me??" But for the most part I've gotten over that and realize that it goes the other way, too. There are books that others love and I don't and that certainly doesn't mean anything is wrong with them. I hope I never make a comment that makes anyone feel badly about their likes or dislikes.

On my reviews, I used to get criticized all the time about not liking anal sex or menage. The menage thing has nothing to do with an 'ick factor.' For me it's an emotional thing. I'm not strong enough or secure enough to bring someone else into my relationship and like I keep saying, I try to connect with the characters and so MY insecurities come into play in that area.

Cheryl Great review Cyn! I am still reading it, so I don't have a final opinion on it yet! I'll keep ya' posted on that...

As far as Prim's book... Dhestiny you said maybe FitzRoy, how about Mickey??? They seem to focus a lot on his growth and how mature he is becoming and also Matthew has mentioned getting him lessons on how to act like a gentleman... just a thought ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Very true, Cheryl! Mickey is really coming into himself, isn't he? And the "deal" that Matthew made to help educate him so he would feel more comfortable in society, etc... I thought that was very sweet of Matthew.

message 34: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Featherstone UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I'm going to start Addicted soon. I'm hoping I love it as much as everyone else does.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Charlotte wrote: "And if you don't it's okay! I realize that those characters are hard to love. They're very flawed. And the topic can be very hard to ead about. But thanks for giving it a shot!..."

You're welcome, Charlotte! I'm looking forward to it!

Cheryl Yes DHestiny, I thought that was very sweet of Matthew. I love it when his conscience kicks in and he acts so sweet (I just want to kick him when he acts like an ass!)

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Don't we all, and don't they all act like asses at some point? LOL

Cyn Mistress Kitty Cheryl wrote: "Great review Cyn! I am still reading it, so I don't have a final opinion on it yet! I'll keep ya' posted on that...

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Cyn wrote: "Oh, I liked Mickey. He reminds me of a young Derek Craven and you know I love Derek...."

That's what I was thinking, and Cam Rohan! Someone edgy, from the streets!

Cheryl I like Mickey too! He could be an interesting hero one day, he has a way of getting the info he needs (a way with the ladies that is!).

message 41: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Okay ladies...If one of the characters in "Patience" is being compared to some of my other all time favorite characters like Cam Rohan and Derek Craven...I might have to rethink this book again! LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Ok, I sent Ms. Valdez a message asking about when Prim's story will be released, and this was her reply:

"Thanks for writing! I don't know when PRIMROSE will be out yet. I'm writing it now, and I have every expectation that I will finish it in a timely manner (as I did PASSION). I'm sure, though, that Cindy will schedule it to come out as fast as she can. She's wonderful and she knows readers are anxious for it. I will definitely let readers know as soon as I know."

Cheryl Hm. Not sure what to make of that statement! Maybe she'll really try to get it out quicker than she did Patience.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Lord, I hope so! I'm unapologetic in my love of Patience and pardon the pun, but I don't think I have the patience to wait very long for Prim.

Ragus UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Lord, I hope so! I'm unapologetic in my love of Patience and pardon the pun, but I don't think I have the patience to wait very long for Prim."

Dhes ... I'm with you! I loved Patience. Ms Valdez takes no prisoners when she writes: grabs you by the throat with the raw sexuality, slowly releases her grip as she peels away each layer of the H/h character, and then grabs your heart!! Your review of Patience was wonderful! :D

R.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Thank you for the compliment, Ragus!! I've never had MY review praised on someone else's review. LOL

Raw, gritty, intense, emotional, passionate, tragic... it was an amazing read!!

Rach~The Highlander luverrr OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
"patience cant be that bad" OW PLEASE NO.. i need more Mark and Mathew im going to read it anyway despit all the bad reviews !!!!!!!!

Cyn Mistress Kitty I think you should read it Rach. You may love it and that's OK. I'll still be your friend. LOL

Rach~The Highlander luverrr Bahhhhhh CYN.. i hope so !!