Andrew Gordon's Reviews > De Profundis and Other Writings

De Profundis and Other Writings by Oscar Wilde

Nov 06, 07

Recommended for: only sexy people
Read in January, 2007

Oscar Wilde is a very funny fellow. He a bit arrogant - " I have nothing to declare except my genius"
And he is also a wild man, an anachist - "It is through disobedience and rebellion that progress has been made"
And he is highly quotable - "A man who does not think for himself does not think at all".

I think that the points he made regarding the ownership of private property in the Soul of a Man Under Socialism are more relevant now than what they were when he originally put that shit down. It seeems everyone is obsessed with getting the latest, shinyest, and most expensive things. This obsession leads to a lack of individual expression , and a dearth of free individual thought in society. To me its summed up best by... " So that man thought that the important thing was to have, and did not know that the important thing is to be. The true perfection of man lies not in what man has, but in what man is". This idea is so completely consistant with my own beliefs, its inline with the way I think.

Besides the concepts of the book, which i dig the most, Oscar Wilde is probably most famous for his wit. Certainly this book is worth reading for that alone.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read De Profundis and Other Writings.