Xenophon Hendrix's Reviews > Five Children and It

Five Children and It by E. Nesbit

2026345
Jan 29, 10

Read in January, 2010

The book is both funny and witty. I wish I had read it when I was a child. The dialog is sharp, and except for one chapter, all of the human characters behave in realistic ways.

I wish I could give the book extra points for the deeply politically incorrect chapter featuring American Indians, but alas, it is the only silly chapter in the book. I despise PC as much as the next amateur subversive, but political incorrectness should be reserved for speaking truth. This chapter, unfortunately, displays ignorance, so it is something that adults might want to discuss with young readers.

Furthermore, I suggest that adults giving the book to children point out that the narrator is wrong: using one's tongue is not the best way to remove contaminants from a person's eye.

Other than those two items, it is a wonderful novel for children. My guess is that it is suitable for ten-year-olds who read well. Some of the old Brit colloquialisms might frustrate persons younger than that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Children and It.