Sophie's Reviews > Superman: Secret Identity

Superman by Kurt Busiek

Jan 30, 10

bookshelves: comics, elseworlds
Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy

So far I've avoided the "regular" Superman books, but each and every "standalone" Superman comic I've read so far has been amazing (maybe discounting "Son of Superman", but even that wasn't bad at all). And "Secret Identity" was no different.

It's the story of Clark Kent, a perfectly ordinary boy whose parents displayed a "particular" sense of humor when they named him Clark. He's really nothing special, except that he gets teased a lot because of his name. And then, one day, he discovers he can fly and has pretty much all of Superman's powers.

This is a very powerful story, beautifully written and drawn, about being different and finding your place. And, most importantly perhaps, about everyone's secret identity:

"A part of ourselves very few people ever get to see. The part we think of as "me". The part that deals with the big stuff. Makes the real choices. The part everything else is a reflection of."

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman.

Quotes Sophie Liked

Kurt Busiek
“Maybe I had a "secret identity", but then when you think about it, don't we all? A part of ourselves very few people ever get to see. The part we think of as "me". The part that deals with the big stuff. Makes the real choices. The part everything else is a reflection of.”
Kurt Busiek, Superman: Secret Identity