Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Willy and Max: A Holocaust Story

Willy and Max by Amy Littlesugar

Jan 29, 2010

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, historical-fiction, picture-books, orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, reviewed, holocaust
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Read on February 05, 2010

I loved the style of art of the illustrations. In fact, the painting in question was probably my least favorite picture in the book; I very much enjoyed the rest of the pictures.

This book isn’t a great introduction to the Nazi holocaust but it is an excellent introduction to learning about Nazi art theft from the Jewish citizens, and there is a note about that in the back of the book. Here, the art in question is recovered and returned to its rightful owners, their descendents actually. That process (which happens all too infrequently) is also addressed in the note in the back of the book.

This is primarily the story of a friendship between two young boys who have become friends, then who become separated because Max and his father, who are Jewish, have to flee the Nazis. It shows how friendship can live on, even during a very long separation. It’s a very touching story, especially during the time when the two boys are living nearby and can play with one another. All the family members are very appealing people.

I could not tell if this was fiction or non-fiction or something close to non-fiction. I suspect the story is based on something that really happened.

I’m very pleased at all the important subjects and feelings now included in children’s picture books, and also happy that picture books are being created for older children, not just preschoolers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Willy and Max.