Brian Steele's Reviews > Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Nov 13, 10

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, post-mythic

So, I recently returned to this novel. I attempted it first after it was released and I was terribly disappointed, never finishing it. Thinking back, I realize now it was because I had read "American Gods" right before. This novel is completely different, more along the lines of the book "Good Omens" he did with Terry Pratchett. Actually, it reminded me quite a bit of the insanity often penned by Christopher Moore - someone I hadn't read those years ago, and whose work I've come to love.

Every character in this tale is ridiculous, and a bit off-kilter. The 1st chapter alone has some of the best examples of what you're in store for, including Fat Charlie detailing to her fiancee Rosie how Dad had convinced him kids dressed up as past Executive Officers for Presidents' Day, and only the coolest ones went as obscure Presidents - leading 10 year old Charlie to show up as Taft. Yep... it's THAT kind of story. There is a bit of mystery and some adventure, but this is mostly a humorous tale that filled with a late coming-of-age message surrounding the love we have for our family. Ah, you can pick your friends, pick your nose, but... well, you know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anansi Boys.